1. Dream Realms is a RolePlaying forum for ages 18+ for our site contains sexual content. There are very few limits that we put on our members allowing them to be as creative as they want without the feeling of being judged or turned away. What ever your tastes in Role Plays whether you choose to reside in the Sweet Dreams area for sweet vanilla content or to be as dark as you want in the Nightmare Realms. The choice is yours. If you haven't already Registered.....No time like the present.

<(0_0<) ^(0_0)^ (> 0_0)>
  2. Welcome Guest! Please make sure to check out our rules first located here. Chatting meets your fancy? Check out the chat Bar below for a faster way to reach out to staff and members! Don't forget to introduce yourself so that we can all get to know you a little better too. You can find that thread here!

3. Hey Guest. Don't forget to vote for us every 24 hours! :D Thanks for helping us to be the best we can be!

Top RP Sites Top RP Sites

And if you have time why not give a 2nd vote for us on Top Site List Planet <(o_o<)Vote for Dream Realms Roleplaying at Top Site List Planet

The Art of a Rambling Man Part 1-2-3

Discussion in 'Helpful Tip's And Guides' started by Doomy, Dec 10, 2017.

Watchers:
This thread is being watched by 3 users.
    Threadmark: Part 1
  1. Doomy

Doomy W⊖⌊⨍ K⨗ℕğ Staff Member DR Bear Hug Committee DR Supporter

Local Time:
    10:04 AM
    Oi you beautiful people! My name is Doomy and today i will be teaching the art of rambling! How all of you can write better posts and lengthen your phrases! This is a VERY simple guide for beginners who are new to RPing that have a hard time putting sentences together and doesn't really pertain to all you old fuck like me
    (I still love all of you!), but you might learn something none the less!

Anyways to the meat of the matter!

Description

Everything in RP for me is about description. Colors, Textures, Shading, Surroundings, forms and materiel can all help out a phrase to get to its most beautiful apex.

Let's go for a basic example;
    The statue.
    Simple, mundain...boring...leaving all to the imagination but without more, it is almost impossible to truly have a grasp of the thing you are speaking of.

Bob_at_Easel.jpg
    Lets add some colors shall we!
    The white statue.
    A bit better, a vague image can be constructed in someones mind but nothing solid.

Now for some Material.
    The white marbe statue.
    Now it has a feel to it, you can think of the surface a bit more.

Let's add a bit of Surrounding!
    The white marble statue on a stone plinth.
    With the plinth, it has more substance but still, a clear picture can't be imagined.

Now lets add Form!
    The Angel, a white marble statue on a stone plinth.
    With form the though becomes clear and the image can more freely flow in your mindseye.

Lets put some texture to that stone!
    The Angel, a white marble statue on a cracked stone plinth was cast in shadow.
    The texture is very important for the feel of the item spoken of giving it more volume.

Shading time!
    The Angel, a white marble statue on a stone cracked plinth was cast in shadow.
    Shadow's can give valuable info about time of day and feel to a item or room by how the light is set.

Now what is could be setting this shadow? Use the previous steps to describe that item as well.

The Angel, a white marble statue on a cracked stone plinth was cast the shadow of a tall basalt pillar.
    Now the phrase went from two words to twenty, look at that!

But you can always add more!
    The Angel, a white marble statue on a cracked stone plinth was cast in the tall shadow of a broken basalt pillar with only the bottom of the stones pitted surface visible to the crowd.

This is only a VERY BASIC tutorial not taking in the nuances of the phrase for at the end I have a tendency to rearrange the sentences after I'm done with them.

The white marble statue, shape dlike an angel, was set on a cracked stone plinth, the tall shadow of a broken basalt pillar casting it in darkness, the bottom of the pitted stone surface visible to the crowd.

And there you have it, its short but I do hope it helps all of you reach your highest potentials as writers. HAPPY RPING!
    Part 2!
    |
    |
    |
    \/

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Anita Break, Grigio, Valadomi and 3 others like this.
  2. DentedSpirit

DentedSpirit Perverted, Corrupted, Fallen Angel

Local Time:
    Just for the purposes of understanding you better, could you darken the blue?

3. CookieCutter

CookieCutter Stop squirmin....you're getting blood everywhere.. Staff Member Dream Realms Admin

Local Time:
    11:34 PM
    Change your style :) if he darkens the blue people with dark styles will ask him to change it again .

Doomy likes this.
  4. DentedSpirit

Local Time:
    Was kinda asking for a neutral blue that could be read on all styles. I kinda like the new style.

5. DentedSpirit

Local Time:
    Tested on all backgrounds. A O-kay! :angel::):)

Doomy likes this.
  6. Doomy

Local Time:
    Thank you for ze test!

7. Threadmark: Part 2
  8. Doomy

Local Time:
    Oi all you beautiful people! I'm back again with another one of my literary ramblings!

This time i will try to help all of you with your postings, to make your imagination fill your words and let them flow on the pages. With the basics at your disposals, you will have a solid foundation to be able to structure your posts better.This is not hard fast rules or anything of the sort but like ingredients in a cake, that can be mixed and match to suit whatever pallet you desire.

2977977.jpg

With that says let's get to the creamy center of this shall we?

In my opinion, everything in a RP can be thought of as being part of 6 categories that can be used separately or interwoven into each other to make there own unique flavor to the scenario. It all up to you how much of them you want to use, or any at all. Not all situation dictate there use, so use them at your own discretions.

The categories are as followed.

Actions, Depth, Environment, Feelings, Thoughts and "Speech".

Actions are the glorious or not so glorious things that your character and NPC you are controlling are performing at the time given.
    Walking, dancing, fighting, kissing, ect.

Environments are everything in the area that you want your partner(s) to imagine from grand spaces to tiny objects.
    Doors, axes, courthouse, grass, flesh, ect.

Depth is to paint a better understanding of the gritty textures of the world you're trying to project, adding luscious colors and a raw physical feel to the canvas. You can never make a mistake by adding more depth.
    Shiny, wooden, hard, golden, ect.

35b1ea54c14c130724fe26fe4bfe40a2e4dabad565a472e30fabddd7f7097b46.jpg

Feelings are the soul-crushing sadness or the blood boiling anger your character or controlled NPC's are pouring out of their souls.

Thoughts are the intimate things you want to tell your story but not necessarily have your partner(s)
    play on it for the time being.

Speech is what your character is slapping out of its wet gums...if it has wet gums...not everyone has wet gums...

ANYWAYS!

Let's do a basic example!

Let's go and the start of this adventure with something REALLY simple.
    "The Man."
    I know not much but you gotta start with a subject and so this man will be our muse for the time being.

With lets flavor it with a basic action.
    "The man was walking."
    It gives you the feeling of motion but not destination or whereabouts.

So we give a dose of Environment.
    "The man was walking down the street."
    Now we know have a sense of direction but its still very bland.

Then put depth to it adding more visuals to the scene.
    "The young man was walking down the dark street."
    This gives us a view of the age and the state of the environment.

Lets embellish this a bit shall we using more of the three previous categories.
    "The young man was walking down the dark street going back home. Grumbling to himself, heavy coat flapping in the chilling wind."
    Now we got a good grasp of the situation but nothing on the person itself!

Feelings are next on this happy little list.
    "The young man was walking down the dark street going back home, completely distraught. Grumbling to himself, heavy coat flapping in the chilling wind."
    It gives you how cold his blood is running, setting a sad scene to begin with.

Adding the thoughts gives more life to a persona.
    "The young man was walking down the dark street going back home completely distraught. Grumbling to himself, heavy coat flapping in the chilling wind.His thoughts were elsewhere, still enthralled the woman he had just left."
    Now we are getting somewhere! Building up some of those sweet, sweet personal bits into your characters soul.

And finally, speech which i usually do at the end to punctuate the paragraph where it seems appropriate.
    "The young man was walking down the dark street going back home completely distraught. "It was only one time!" He grumbled to himself, heavy coat flapping in the chilling wind. His thoughts were elsewhere, still enthralled the woman he had just left."

With the knowledge of the basics at your disposal, you can then look at your phrases and see what could be missing and add on to what is already wrote down. Its a simple thing to read back over what you have written and ask yourself if you have made enough descriptions to convey what you want to your partner(s).

I think I've wasted enough of ya'll time for the time being, if any of you have any questions or just wanna say hi please feel free to pm me,until next time i feel like ranting!

"Cast your seeds into the garden and show everyone how beautiful your flowers can be."

Part 3!
    |
    |
    |
    \/

Hayden_Monsters and Grigio like this.
  9. Threadmark: Part 3
  10. Doomy

Local Time:
    Oi you beeautiful people! Once again to my little part of the forum, my cozy fur covered hole i call home.
    Today we will be talking about Physical Depth for your Character at any particular time in your posting.
    Big thanks to @Pyre to have let me rant this at her in its most blunt form. Thank you m'dear!

Now on to the reason you all are here.
    CAKE!
    rosewater-raspberry-sponge-cake.jpg

No, wait that's not right...

Imagine your persona, to the maximum of your abilities, at the point and time you are writing about them. Many different things can change the scene significantly if given enough time to flow on the pages. You don't need to use everything in every sentence but if something changes it should be highlighted appropriately to give your partner more context to work with.

Okay So lets start this of with something simple.

"The man rubbed his shirt."
    As said its simple and easy. But could be so much more if given enough Depth.

Let's describe this man, shall we?

Think of the age, how that affects them
    "He's old."

Then add in the basic general description that is relevant at the current time, Hair, eyes, height. weight, skin color.

"He has White hair, Amber/Light brown eyes, Dusky skin color"

Of the things that he would have acquired over the years, white patches of hair, Cataracts, wart, scars, ect.
    "He has cataracts, lines in his face, his fingers are gnarly and he's got fair hair."

The emotion that he has at the moment, Anger, sadness, ect.
    "Anger"

Are they wet? Cold? Sweating? On fire? In Pain?

"In pain"

What he's wearing and what its made of, how used it is, how tarnished.

"He's wearing a linen shirt with blood on it."

And you can flurrish with stronger color words, don't write blue, go with azure. Don't go with brown, go with Hazel instead.

"We'll go with bronze instead of brown eyes."

What time of day is it? Are they in the shadow? In EXTREME LIGHT?
    "He has torches to light him."

NOW if you combine all of the above points of reference you can change a phrase like;
    "The man rubbed his shirt."
    Into something more grand and descriptive, giving more context for your partners to work with like;

"Pushing his fair white hair back the old man furrowed his brow, the lines on his dusky ancient face creasing in anger. His cataracted eyes gleaming a dull bronze in the torch light. He rubbed his gnarled fingers painfully over his linen shirt staining it with blood, the crimson liquid seeping from a cut in his hand. "

That's all i got for now, il try to make this more structured like the others BUT FOR NOW...love you all, till next time i ramble.

CookieCutter likes this.